Gas and Carbon Monoxide Leak Detection

Why should I be concerned about carbon monoxide (CO)?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a gas that can build up to dangerous concentrations indoors when fuel- burning devices are not properly operated, vented, or maintained. Because it has no odor, color or taste, CO cannot be detected by smell, taste, or sight. It is estimated that acute CO poisoning contributes annually to more than 2,000 deaths in the United States. In addition, the US Consumer Product Safety Commission estimates that 8,000 to 15,000 people each year are examined or treated in hospitals for non-fire related CO poisoning. Breathed over long periods of time, low concentrations of CO may also contribute to other illness. Fortunately, simple measures can be taken to prevent CO problems. One such action is the installation of a CO alarm to detect potentially deadly conditions.

Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), 288(8): 988-995; August 28, 2002. Note that combustion gases from these appliances can be dangerous. Carbon monoxide meter tests are recommended to determine if gases are entering your home.

Combustible Natural and LP Gas

This test, checks for leaks in your gas lines to determine if there is a leak concern. In most cases we find the smallest of leaks with our equipment. This test is free with all home inspections.